Friday, May 14, 2010

Madvillainy: Madlib's greatest collaboration


Hey folks

In my earlier post regarding Madlib, I made a reference to an album, titled "Madvillainy". This LP is a collaboration between Madlib, the producer and rapper/MC MF Doom. MF Doom also goes by another alias - Vaudeville Villain, hence the "Madvillain" moniker.

I also made reference to how great this album truly is. It is, by far, one of the greatest records I have ever listened to. But believe me, it wasn't the case when I first heard it. That gave me a lot of encouragement, however, because I knew that great music always took a few listens. A good album fits like a glove, but a great album is like a cool new pair of jeans that needs breaking into.

Split across 22 terse, short tracks, Madvillainy will lead you through a loopy set of the most left-field beats, even by Madlib's standards. "Accordian", one of the highlights of the album is laid out with a sparse beat accompanied by a hypnotic accordion loop. "Curls", one of my favourites, is an odd mix of an upbeat drum loop and Waldir Calmon's "Airport Love Theme" sample that showcases Madlib's love affair of sounds and his obsession with the perfect sample.

MF Doom

"Operation Lifesaver", "All Caps" and "Rhinestone Cowboy" are other excellent tracks that will challenge your taste in music. But that's a good thing, as it will force you to confront the limits of your "open mind".

The album in its entirety will seem jarred and downright weird to the first-time listener - especially if you are unfamiliar with either MF Doom or Madlib's earlier work. But like I said before, it takes a few listens and once you break into it, I guarantee the LP won't be leaving your "Now Playing" playlist anytime soon.

No comments: